Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Let Me Sexplain...(see what I did?)

I feel I need to clarify one or two points that may have drifted astray in my last blog. I originally took the complete lack of response to my last post as a sufficient answer to the question "should we talk about sex more?". However, after having to stop Matt White from regaling me with his favourite honeymoon moments last night, it dawned on me that I might have given the wrong impression.

So allow me to clarify: I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in the personal sexcapades of my friends. If I ever have to write an article for Nuts (did I just say "sexcapades"?) then I'll get back to you but in the mean time, I really don't want to know. I was simply wandering if Christian people put too much of a taboo on sex. And I was commenting on the fact that married people and single people don't seem to talk about it that much. I've had single friends who seem perfectly comfortable talking about sex until they got married at which point they just shut up about it. Maybe it's because they think that now if they talk about sex, they'll have to reveal what they've been up to (hence Matt's assumption that he had to open the conversation last night with the words - and I quote - "on my wedding night..."). I don't think this is necessary (it's certainly not desired). I think intelligent, informed conversations on sex can take place without reverting to "what we did last night...". But then what do I know? Maybe we should just leave it alone. I'm open to suggestion. But please please please, Matt, no more anecdotes.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, Glyn... how YOU doing?

Glyn Harries said...

Anonymous come ons aren't quite what I had in mind but yeah I'm doing good, thanks for asking. And you?

Glyn Harries said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

OK, so anonymous was me, just to freak you out...

...but anyway, I just wanted to add my twopenn'orth as another married man:

I'm quite happy to talk about it, but not to divulge or discuss in any depth details that are personal to my relationship with my wife. Don't think that's wrong, think some things have to stay private. But equally I know enough married blokes who are in the same boat as Matt.

It's odd because for a lot of guys, myself included, this subject was way high on the agenda throughout my teenage years, yet when it actually occurred... we all clam up and don't talk about it. Aren't we blokes weird?

Can't agree with Lard about where two or three (blokes) are gathered together the stories start to flow but maybe I just don't move in the right circles...

I think, like most things (there are some obvious exceptions which I'll let you figure out for yourselves), if we discuss these issues in a mature, responsible, adult way then there's no harm discussing them. But there has to be a line, a respect, between everyone involved, that some things just don't get divulged.

Does that make me weird or normal? I can't decide!

Anonymous said...

Matt, I meant I know other married blokes who are uncomfortable talking about it but also uncomfortable about being uncomfortable...

Anonymous said...

I say briefly: Best! Useful information. Good job guys.
»